Marsalisi Law

While buckling up every time you get behind the wheel may feel like second nature, forgetting even once in a while may have significant consequences.  These lifesaving devices are designed to protect occupants in the event of a collision and prevent severe injuries.  Failure to wear a seatbelt puts your safety at risk and can significantly impact your car accident claim.  Fortunately, an experienced car accident attorney can advise you on how Florida’s modified comparative negligence laws apply to your case and help you fight for monetary compensation for your injuries and other losses.

At Marsalisi Law, our renowned attorney, Frank P. Marsalisi, is dedicated to helping his clients understand their rights and fight for favorable outcomes for their cases.  He is fluent in English and Spanish and can work with you to understand every detail of your case as he fights for you.  When you choose our firm, you can trust your attorney to provide you with the highest quality legal representation.

How Will My Car Accident Claim Be Affected by Not Wearing a Seat Belt?

Under Florida Statute 316.614.4, it is illegal to operate a motor vehicle unless the driver, front seat passenger, and all passengers under 18 years old are wearing a seatbelt or child restraint.  Failure to comply with this law may affect your car accident claim if you were injured in a collision.  However, this does not necessarily mean you cannot recover monetary compensation for your losses.

Florida is a modified comparative negligence state.  This system allows car accident victims to collect monetary compensation relative to their percentage of fault as long as they were less than 51% at fault for the collision and their subsequent injuries.  For example, if you were 30% responsible and the other driver was 70%, you would be eligible to recover 70% of the available damages for your injuries and other losses.  However, if you were more than 50% at fault, you would lose your right to monetary compensation for the accident.

If you did not wear a seatbelt during your accident, you may be found partially at fault for your injuries.  However, with the help of a skilled attorney, you may still be able to recover damages for your medical bills, lost wages, and other losses.

Ways an Experienced Car Accident Attorney Can Help You

After being injured while not wearing a seatbelt, it is vital to reach out to an experienced attorney as soon as possible.  Car accident cases can be complex, especially when Florida’s modified comparative negligence rule applies to your claim.  At Marsalisi Law, our skilled attorney can aid the success of your case in the following ways:

  • Conducting a thorough investigation into your case;
  • Advocating aggressively on your behalf;
  • Negotiating with all parties;
  • Collecting essential evidence and witness testimonies;
  • Organizing your medical bills and other expenses;
  • Filing all paperwork correctly and on time;
  • Determining the total value of your claim;
  • Answering your legal questions;
  • Keeping you updated on the status of your claim;

When you choose our firm, we will work with you to understand every aspect of your accident as we fight for justice on your behalf.

Speak With a Highly-Qualified Car Accident Attorney at Marsalisi Law

If you were injured in a car accident while not wearing a seatbelt, you need a trusted attorney in your corner.  At Marsalisi Law, our team is committed to providing top-notch legal services to our clients and fighting for the best possible resolutions for their claims.  Our experienced attorney, Frank P. Marsalisi, has extensive experience protecting his clients’ rights and interests and is ready to help you pursue the monetary compensation you deserve.

To schedule a free consultation, call us today at (727) 800-5052 or complete our online contact form.  Marsalisi Law is where law gets personal!